The Saint George´s Church History
After the victory upon the moor attack in 1276, the `alcoyanos´ proclaim `San Jorge´ as a Patron of Alcoy and they promise to build a temple in his honour. We don´t know exactly the date of its construction but we do know by the notarial deed that the temple already existed in 1317, surely built near `San Marcos´ arcade in the ancient wall of the town, the place where the Saint was miraculously seen.
It is in this first half of the XlV century when the first widening of the town is made eliminating the wall next to the church, staying this one free with a small square at the front where there is an image of the Saint on a public fountain.
At the end of the XVl century being the convent of the Holy Sepulchre under construction and with the purpose that the nuns can attend the mass without losing their enclosure a high covered gallery is built over what today is
In 1651 the building is threatening into ruins for what it is decided to knock it down and build a new church which suffered some damages during the warlike period or some defects in its building as in 1721 another important restoration was carried out.
Just in 1865 it was proceeded with the whole redecoration on the inside in charge of the `alcoyano´ architect D. Jorge Gisbert.
The 5th October 1894 the mortal remains of the penitent piedmontese Casimiro Barello Morello are moved to the church where they are still remaining as well as the positioning of a new public fountain two months later with an equestrian statue of the patron on top of it made in bronze by the Valencian sculptor Yerro, since the original one had disappeared at the end of the XVll century.
Once the XX century had begun and after obtaining the creation of a permanent vicarage for the temple, its whole rebuilding is stated creating a commission for it. It is formed by Fernando Cabrera Cantó and the architects Timoteo Briet and
When the civil war started in