The inside of Saint George´s Church
Its Floor as well as the inside of the building present byzantine reminiscences, that´s why its style is neobyzantine. The main entrance is used as a hall and it is formed by a rectangular narthex giving way to the square-shaped main floor where there is an inscribed greek cross ending in three apses. Starting from the socle there are some embedded columns with an ornamental function which hold the dome.
At the entrance we can see a strong flat covering, base of the choir support which lodges the organ. This organ with very special characteristics was built by Gabriel Blancafort. It consists of three bodies: cadereta, major organ and pedal as well as two manual keyboards with 58 notes and several ranges with its pedals, registers and connections. It was opened on 20th April
On the left hand side the image of the Virgin with her Baby Jesus remains enthroned and on the right there is a glass window with the image of Saint George by Donatelo, sketch by Rigoberto Soler Pérez.
The dome is held by pillars with geometric decoration. It is preceded by a tambour with eight big windows covered with glass windows that represent saints related to Alcoy: The Immaculate Conception, Saint George Infant, Saint Mauro, Saint Roque, Saint Michael, Baby Jesus of the Miracle, Virgin of the Lilys and Saint Gregory of Ostia.
In the middle of the temple and on both sides there are two moons of half a pint decorated in a byzantine style with some friezes which represent the shields of
On the left hand side it is the equestrian image of Saint George, a sculptural polychrome whole of over 700Kg weight, work by the Valencian sculptor Enrique Galarza, made in
The central apse is the most important part of the church and it stands out among the rest. Three steps which symbolize – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – They are separated from the faithful people location, at the foot of the grave of the penitent piedmontese Casimiro Barello Morello who died in
At the front, the great painting that represents the battle that the `alcoyanos´ kept in 1276, the way the great painter Fernando Cabrera Cantó interpreted it. In front of it and in the central part there are two angels made of marble, a reliable reproduction of the ones made by the `alcoyano´ sculptor Lorenzo Ridaura which were destroyed in 1936, which hold the stand where the Saint George´s infant´s image is standing, known as `El Xicotet´ by the `alcoyanos´ polychrome sculpture from the Valencian school. An arch with symbols that refer to the Moor and Christian Festivities that our city celebrates every 22nd, 23rd and 24th complete the apse.
The right corner is occupied by a door that leads to the vestry, over which there is a small glass window that reminds us the nobleness of our Mossén Torregrossa, sketch of the `alcoyano´ artist Rafael Guarinos.
The third apse is a door that leads to